Eight and a half months ago, I wrote a letter I don't think anyone ever wants to write.
Seeing as tomorrow is Father's Day, I felt it only fitting I write a letter to you. This is one of those letters I actually want to write...because as I write this, I know you'll have the chance to read it and to (hopefully) understand how much Chris and I love you. You are the best dad ever, no hyperbole here.
Dad, though I'm going to try, there really are no words to fully express how grateful I am for you, so I likely will opt for some embarrassing photos to detail your awesomeness. You are my hero. I don't know that many daughters are lucky enough to have the relationship I have with you; I guess it's one of those perks of cancer and Alzheimer's?
So here goes, the start of an unending list of things I thank you for.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for...
-having the coolest facial hair and sideburns possible of any person ever
-taking care of Mom and always showing her how much you loved her
-taking care of ME and putting up with my absurd tears when my hair fell out
-taking care of Chris and making sure he always has some obscure kitchen-item in his house, be it a blender or Ronco rotisserie oven so he can set it and forget it!
-taking care of Chloe and feeding her lots of popcorn even though she was kind of the devil and ate dust...
(have you noticed you do a lot of "taking care" of people?)
-taking Chris and me to Indian guide and Indian princess stuff...and wearing this cool Cub Scout leader outfit...
-refusing to buy me a dog
-making sure there was photographic evidence of Chris dressed like this:
and this:
and this:
-putting up with me when I was a baby and stopped breathing and was cool that way...
-making faces like these in photos:
-always ensuring I get a good steak dinner at least once or twice a year
especially around my birthday...
(and thanks for being cool enough to try to order shots of Jager to start my 21st birthday off the right way)
-coming to my graduation dressed like this (damn shingles), because I still laugh when I see this photo:
-never buying me a Kate Spade bag (well, maybe thank you for this...)
-inspiring me not to clutter...
...while also teaching me how to be OCD about loading a dishwasher
-keeping far too much expired stuff in the fridge or freezer so Chris and I can feel productive and useful when we go home
-taking me to Opening Day every year growing up
-NEVER giving up on the Cubs and making sure Chris and I were (and still are) both die-hard fans
-being old enough to have black-and-white photos of yourself
-saran-wrapping my PICC-line so I could shower when I was sick
-getting me whatever food I wanted whenever I wanted it when I was sick
-scaring that nurse so much she probably cried the day my PICC-line was put in
-ensuring we always had the next disk of Friends each day we went to the hospital (oh yeah, and waking up early every day for 9 weeks to drive me to the hospital and sit with me through chemo...that was kind of a big deal)
-since chemo, quoting Friends like you're a 28-year old and watching it every Thanksgiving with me
-letting me stay home on "Daddy, take your daughter to work" day and ordering things from Amazon.com instead
-test-driving this car after I suggested it...
-picking me up from school after you "may have had a heart attack" (don't do that again, please)
-buying me absurdly expensive sunglasses and glasses despite my inability to take care of them
-taking me to Germany
-being Stan, the Hot Dog Man
-being the most awesome dad ever
I'm not sure if you caught on there, Dad, but what I'm saying is: You're amazing. I am so thankful for you, and though I will try, words will never be able to tell you thank you enough.
Happy Father's Day.
Happy Anniversary.
Mom would be and is so proud of you.
I love you.
Love,
Alex



















No comments:
Post a Comment