In November, when I said those words, I knew they would unfortunately be true...and Mother's Day is one of those days that proves that losing someone indeed is not a temporary pain. It's not going away. I had a rare morning where before I opened my eyes, I really did think my mom would be here...my healthy, pre-Alzheimer's mom, and wow, it sucked to realize that was not true.
I am beyond blessed in my life--I didn't realize Mother's Day would be tough, because it's probably been 9 years since I've had something even close to a normal Mother's Day (by normal, I mean one in which your mom knows who you are...).
While I'm tempted to enjoy a margarita at 7 a.m., I instead decided, hey, it's time to make a list. (I like lists...they're neat, simple, and organized.)
So, here you go.
Top Ten Life Lessons My Mom Taught Me
10. Expiration dates are just a suggestion.
The real test is: Do you reasonably think you can eat this without getting sick? If not, put it back in the pantry or fridge. Surely it will be ready to eat in a week or two. I have heard this from my dad, aunt, and uncle too. Must be a family thing.
9. Buy a larger size. You'll grow into it.
Case in point: This jacket.
8. Don't let other people tell you what to do.
Oh yeah, my mom married my dad despite her parents not attending the wedding. This year they would have celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary. Does a more appropriate and positive use of the word badass exist? I think not.
7. Dogs are a (wo)man's best friend.
A dog will eat your child's face...
...and it is entirely possible to convince your dad to get you a dog despite his bold statement that we will NOT be buying any dogs, just looking at them.
6. Cubs fans are the best--and there is never an age at which it's too early to start developing one.
5. If you have kids, you can and should get them to wear ridiculous things and then take photos of them.
Supergirl (?) realizes bags are the best. Addiction begins.
Yes! Doily...or according to Chris, muumuu.
No words to describe...
all the awesome outfits...
my brother wore. (Suspenders!)
Yes.
4. "Find somebody you want to spend the rest of your life with, and hold onto her forever." (Technically an Italian Job quote--and would apply more to Chris given the pronoun used...so let's pretend it says him/her. That said, well done, Mom. You definitely did find him. We all should be so lucky.)
3. Making someone smile? Totally worth it, regardless of what it entails.
In case you didn't know, tree-skirt ballet is about to take off big time.
2. Family wins.
In case you were wondering, harmonicas taste good.
and of course...
1. Life is tough. People aren't always going to be nice to you. Suck it up.














No comments:
Post a Comment