...and then after a couple weeks of chemo I looked like this:
...and so some friends did a 5k for me dressed like this:
3 years ago, I walked the Revlon 5k and rocked my medal like this:
So this year I did it again with my friend Jenn wearing hot pink laces like this:
...and I got a flower and cute button for being a cancer survivor that looked like this:
After the 5k, we went to the Survivor tent where we feasted on yummy drinks and cupcakes like this:
There I also managed to get cupcake on myself, which wasn't as bad as when I spilled my smoothie on my cute reusable tote resulting in this:
And at the end of the day it was just fabulous in general, because for several hours that day, I got to wear a super cool hat just like this:
Four years ago, when I came back to school post cancer-fun my junior year, I worked briefly at a place called The Little Gym teaching gymnastics classes (brief background: I did gymnastics for 10 years and then taught for very nearly the same amount of time...). The owner of the gym, Kristen, was amazing. Inspirational. She had her head on straight and knew what she wanted to do with her life, and it blew me away, because she was only a couple years older than I was! I remember one of my first weeks there, Kristen got engaged. She's one of those people that was too pretty...and then the engagement ring just made it ridiculous! She glowed, and it was evident she was so very happy!!
My senior year, just after I graduated and just after I did the 5k, Kristen and I reconnected via a website called Survivor Celebration. I had joined it and actually gone trapezing earlier in the year with cancer survivors in and post- treatment (what an experience!) and saw Kristen's name pop up. This is what Kristen wrote on the website:
I am 25 years old and have recently opened my own business in Calabasas, called The Little Gym. In January I was diagnosed with a very rare type of cervical cancer. My family and I were shocked by the news. I am getting married at the end of May and this was not the type of news I was expecting before my wedding day. I had to have a radical hysterectomy, but was fortunate enough to save my ovaries. My surgeon recommended light radiation and chemotherapy, immediately following my surgery, as my treatment. After doing a lot of research I decided to go an alternate route. It has been about 3 months since my surgery and I feel great and am very comfortable and happy with my decision to not go through with chemotherapy and radiation. Some doctors may think im crazy for not doing the treatments, but I have been fortunate enough to find a doctor that is comfortable with my decision. My lifestyle has been changed drastically due to my alternative treatment but each day I am getting more and more used to it. I still plan on getting married at the end of May and I have gotten the okay to go on my honeymoon. It has been a short, but what seems to be very long, roller coaster ride and I know I will look back on this one day and realize how much I've learned from this whole experience.
My heart sunk into my stomach when I read this. Kristen was amazing, and I felt terrible...but I also knew that feeling terrible wouldn't do much, and so I just reached out to her just to say hi and check in. We caught up over the exchange of a few messages and Facebook.
In November of 2010, Kristen wrote, as part of a longer message: Thanks soo much for your message, I truly appreciate all your thoughts and prayers. I'm trying to keep my head up as much as possible, but it has been a battle. I just cant seem to bounce back the way I did from the first surgery.
She exuded positivity and strength, and it was the only time I've heard even a small bit of exhaustion from her (and mind you, she opened her own business at the age of 24!). She was rightfully tired after all she had been through, and while my faith sometimes wavers, I really did think of Kristen and pray often for her.
In April of 2011, Kristen passed away.
Kristen, on Saturday, I ran for you.
Three years ago, when I did this 5k, three people joined me. One woman was named Tanya, who you can see in the photos above. Tanya was actually my supervisor for a job I had as an undergrad at Pepperdine. Tanya always had a bubbly personality, she was always super positive, and she always offered her help and kind words to everyone around her. When she joined my 5k team, I was surprised--she was my supervisor, not a fellow student--but I was also so equally pleased! I knew getting to USC by no later than 7 a.m. would be a very early morning, and Tanya guaranteed would be bright and cheery when we arrived.
In March of 2011, Tanya and I caught up when I asked friends to make videos for my students about college. She was so excited, and it was so wonderful to catch up with her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRK2-fNzQes (Was she not the sweetest?)
In June of 2011, Tanya took her own life.
Tanya, on Saturday, I ran for you too.
The 5k this year was very special to me for many reasons.
5 years cancer-free.
My first Mother's Day weekend since my mom passed away.
In memory of Kristen while remembering completing it with Tanya.
Ladies, all three of you are missed more than you know, by more than just me, and I hope you are celebrating in heaven together!





No comments:
Post a Comment