Well I'm officially back in lovely southern California.
Let me fill you in on my trip down.
Friday I flew from Fort Myers to San Jose.
Estimated arrival time in San Jose: 9:22 p.m.
Actual arrival time: 11:37 p.m.
At 12:07 a.m. bags finally started coming around on the cool swirly bag thing.
...however, then my bag was lost.
So I did not arrive home to my apartment until 1:07 a.m. (mind you this is 4 a.m. in Florida).
My body was confused, tired, and achy...and not at all ready for a drive down to LA, so I postponed my trip to Sunday.
Saturday I took care of little odds and ends, you know, getting finger-printed, mailing boxes, packing my tiny little car till it could hold no more, and Sunday morning I left to make my drive to LA.
All went well on my drive, despite my being lonely without my lovely little puppy, and I arrived safe and sound in Malibu Sunday afternoon. I stayed with my wonderful little sis in my sorority (one of two amazing littles!), and I quickly took some migraine medicine and fell asleep.
Monday, I became a Big KIPPster. It's amazing to sit through a day of on-boarding that uses time so efficiently. I'm CPR-certified, received my work cell phone and laptop, and also met all the other new staff at my site.
By the way, could I have been any more excited when I discovered we were getting MACBOOKS? Thank goodness no more PCs!
Now I'm officially way too connected with two phones, two computers, two iPods, and a Kindle.
That said, I'm going to have to get used to this little phone for work:
KIPP teachers are required to be available to students and parents for homework help, etc. so we are given phones for those calls and text messages.
Plus, we all received copies of the following book:
If you want to learn more about how KIPP started and what its mission is, get a copy for yourself! I'm hoping, though I know free time will be quite sparse, that I will find some time in the near future to read it!
After I finished my time with KIPP on Monday I headed back to Santa Monica to pick up my lost bag which I sent to my big sis in Tri Delt..and to sleep on her couch. I could not be luckier to have a big like Minda as I would probably have cried more in the past two days than I already have. Don't worry, I really haven't cried much, just a couple times in brief moments of frustration and anxiety about where I'm living!
So now, Tuesday and Wednesday have brought apartment hunting, which is going pretty miserably. I've checked out a couple places, but I'm feeling a bit stressed with the start of work and the time it takes find a decent place.
However, I'm feeling better after today and lining up couches to sleep on for the next week. I hate hate hate being the person couch-hopping, but I know I will regret moving into a place and committing to a year lease if I am feeling iffy about it.
I also think part of my positive-thinking is a result of the extreme happy- and smiley-ness I experienced after watching this video:
(I really enjoy the fact that he is wearing goggles.)
Also, I mean worst case scenario, there are apparently all kinds of creepers on Craigslist who would be willing to have female roommates for free...or for very very low rent. I found my roommates last year on Craigslist, so goodness knows this is not reflective of all Craigslist posters and ads, but I can't help but wonder what some people are thinking!
For example:
male looking for female to rent and find a place together... (central/coastal)
Just want to say first a sexual relationship is not required, yet not frowned upon... I am a guy after all. But I just prefer a female roommate in close quarters...
desperate times for desperate measures. Is anybody else in the situation of couch surfing. I have my bachelors degree.... I'm a veteran... and yet the only thing I could get is a $12 an hour job working in a warehouse. It makes me upset that half my paycheck will be going to rent. POOF! gone. I'd like to move in Los Angeles and think this is the best way to do that currently.
I like to hike, the beach, sleeping, eating out, road trips, vegas, texas holdem, and I can be kind of geeky sometimes... go through occasional times of completely healthy eating. Love to work out when not drained from completely manual labor related job(like a warehouse) . I have no cats or dogs but do like them. And what about you?
FREE RENT PLUS AMENITIES IN EXCHANGE FOR GFE-FANTASTIC 2500 SQ FT HOME (SFV)
Broken up and broken down about a girl I was totally in love with and I can't take living alone. Anyway, I'm looking for, searching for, hoping for, a young, pretty, female who is somewhat "normal" in shape, not insane; someone to dote on and care about, whom I can take care of, be with, maybe even fall in love with. If you think that I am placing this ad simply for the sake of having a sexual partner, you are mistaken. I want complete conpanionship and that includes emotional bonds.
So, if you're stuck with no place to go and don't mind a creative, attractive male vs. a refrigerator carton as a companion, please email me
I'm a writer and artist. Daniel Day-Lewis looking. Intelligent, sane, in shape and considerate. I own thousands of books, thousands of DVDS, thousands of CDs (I have my own personal library) I'm educated, cultured, considerate and caring.
I'll pay all the rent, all the utilities, room and board (food, etc) and I will do special things for you (buy you flowers on occasion, write you poems) to make you feel wanted and needed.
Please send a photo and describe yourself. Tell me what you want/need... Please be serious and reliable. And be over your ex. In return, shall make you the most special person in my life.
$500 Loft to share with cute girls (Santa Monica)
Ladies,
We are looking for 2 girls to share a loft in Santa Monica by the beach who are willing to share rooms and split expenses. Great living situation with 2 god dam good looking men. dont be scared to email head shots. we cant wait to see meet you. Aspiring actress/models welcome. This is the opportunity of a lifetime.
Brandon and Brandon
FACT
------
So here's hoping that no one responds to those ads or that perhaps maybe just maybe the person who wrote them actually does not have bad intentions just has no idea the implications of what he is posting.
Now it's time for me to get to bed since tomorrow is my first day at KCCP! That crazy acronym, FYI, stands for KIPP Comienza Community Prep, my new school. I'm very excited to head there tomorrow and to learn more about the pretty awesome team I'll be working with this year. Feel free to read up on my school here: Welcome to KIPP Comienza Community Prep!
Goodnight lovely friends and family!
♥a
All I can say is OMGoodness to all your craziness of flying and moving. Oh and wow on those ads. I wish you luck on your apartment search.
ReplyDeleteAlso you had a dancing boy in your last kinder class.
Too true, Allie. He was (and is!) amazing!
ReplyDelete